Political Speeches

Wednesday, February 25, 2009


OK, Amanda was at book club last night, and my kid was in bed, so I decided to watch a little TV. Of course nothing was on Food Network (or at least Alton wasn't on) so I was resigned to flip through the stations, trying to find something interesting to watch. Because of all the cable news channels, and because of all of the big networks broadcasting it, I was bombarded with Obama's speech to Congress. As I will later explain, I found myself so frustrated that I turned to the Wii and played a little World at War (which only heightened my frustration).
My frustration wasn't with Obama, but with the rest of the crowd there. Why is it that politicians can't give a speech in which most of the time involved is not used up by applause? I've gotta say, if I were President I would start my speeches by saying, "please hold your applause until the very end of my speech." Think about the time wasted by the constant pauses required to allow the annoying people to stand up and clap for 30 seconds every 15 seconds. Think how much more quickly they could get back to regularly scheduled programming if they weren't wasting all that time applauding. Think about how much more coherent the speeches would be without breaking up the speech constantly.
Oh and on a side note, how annoying were Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden last night? Pelosi was the instigator of so much of the annoying applause, and did you guys see Joe Biden do the wink and point. What was that all about? Anyway, those are my thoughts.
Maybe next time I will discuss my grievances with video games that trap you on a level and there is nothing you can do, no one to kill (you can't even kill your own guys) and nowhere to go.
Servus.

0 comments:

Post a Comment