My Dilemma

Wednesday, October 31, 2007


So, for those who have not heard, I recently got a new job. I work as a law clerk for the State Agency Counsel Division of the Utah State Attorney General's Office. This means I do research and prepare memos and sometimes pleadings for the attorneys in my division. This morning I was talking to another clerk, who works in the Tax Division. He has been working here much longer than I have (since last March, I started last week). He asked me how much work I have to do, and I told him that I am very busy. He told me that in almost 9 months of working here he has been assigned only 5 projects to do. I was assigned 6 my first day! I asked him what he does to keep busy to which he replied that he reads his school work.


So therein lies my dilemma. I like having the opportunity to get very valuable experience researching and writing, not to mention creating contacts that could help me down the road, but I would like a little time to be able to do my school work as well. I have two big finals that are coming up all too quickly, not to mention an oral argument to prepare for a Motion for Summary Judgment and a presentation to prepare and paper to write about prosecutorial misconduct and how to fix the problem.


When I first heard that the other clerk has nothing but school work to do and yet he gets paid as much as I do, I was a little jealous, but then I realized that although we are getting paid the same, and he has more time to do school work, I am the one gaining much more valuable experience, which will definitely help me in the long run, even if he ends up getting better grades than I do.


Naja, so ist das Leben.

4 comments:

ahhh...welcome, dear spencer. welcome. i linked you on my blog so i can check you frequently. ah, but that is what google reader is for, right? right. if you haven't yet, look into it. i highly recommend it.

Anonymous said...
November 2, 2007 at 3:27 PM  

Yet another friend to finally join the blogging world. You guys are finally coming around. That's cool to hear the job you have right now and the experience you are getting. You better become well versed in the malpractice law to defend me when some patients come after me!

Anonymous said...
November 2, 2007 at 3:30 PM  

Welcome aboard!!

Jeff & Melissa said...
November 7, 2007 at 8:27 AM  

Make sure to post lost of cute pics of your babt!

Cameron Family said...
November 7, 2007 at 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment