Why Super Bowl XLII was so disappointing . . .

Monday, February 4, 2008



Don't get me wrong, I love a great game, and three lead changes in the fourth quarter qualify this as a great game, but I would have liked four lead changes. I'm not a big Pats fan, but I do like them, and I hate the Giants. Here is why I am so disappointed with the outcome of Super Bowl XLII:

  • I would have loved to see history made. Yeah brothers played in, won and were named MVPs of consecutive Super Bowls, which is history, but I am talking 19-0. An undefeated season in an era of free agency and salary caps, that would have been a real accomplishment. As for those of you who didn't want the Pats to get the undefeated season, there is simply one reason for this...jealousy. You are just jealous that your team didn't have a chance.
  • I don't really care for Bill Belichick (come on you are a professional coach, dress like one) but I don't hate him like I do Tom Coughlin. He is a jackass that even his own players hate.
  • Good for Eli, but why should I show him any love when he didn't show me any during fantasy football. It wasn't until I gave up hope on Eli and benched him that I finally started winning games and made the playoffs. I don't feel bad for Eli having to play in the shadow of big brother Peyton. Everyone is always saying how much better Peyton is and how Eli will never compare, well congratulations Eli, you won a Super Bowl. That is as close to the accomplishments of your brother that you will ever get.
  • Tom Brady deserved the win. Well not based on his performance from last night, which really is all that matters, but he demolished the league and numerous records in the process. If the Pats were to end the season with one loss I would have preferred it during the regular season.
  • On a side note, the commercials sucked!
  • Why, you may be asking yourself, do I like the Pats. Well, Amanda and I discussed this last night, and I came to a realization that my fondness for the Pats and my hatred of the Giants both stem from my love for the Niners.
  • First of all, my hatred of the Giants began one Sunday afternoon in 1991. LT (the original, although I like the new one better, he doesn't seem to do as much cocaine) came around the corner and blindsided Joe Montana, injuring him. As a result of the fact that the Niners were winning the game (and it looked like going to their third Super Bowl in a row) Steve Young was instructed to hand the ball off to one of the most reliable running backs in history, the reason I love the Niners, Roger Craig. Wouldn't you know it, Roger caughs the ball up and the Giants end up winning the game on a last second fieldgoal, 15-13. Thus began my hatred.
  • As for the Pats, it is not so direct, but it is much shorter. In 2002 the Pats played the St. Louis Rams in the Super Bowl. The Rams are in the same division as the Niners, so I wanted the underdog team to defeat the team from the Niners' division.

Anyway, it was a great game, but I didn't care for the outcome.

5 comments:

umm yeah all i remember about the game yesterday was my child crying on and off for 4 hours.

go niners!

February 4, 2008 at 9:24 AM  

Yeah, I was so happy the Patriots lost. They are such babies and sore losers...oh and by the way did I say cheaters!

Cameron Family said...
February 8, 2008 at 4:25 PM  

As a Patriots fan and abid Manning hater I am going to agree with you on this one. I freaking hate the Mannings and all their lame commercials. I used to like the 49ers per Steve Young and Jerry Rice era. Not too impressed with their QB right now though.

Anonymous said...
February 19, 2008 at 1:43 PM  

First of all the only undefeated team there should be are the dolphins, and with the pats loss that is proof. Second if you are going to mention the giants/niners rivalry of the 80's let us be accurate. LT knocked montana out the first time in a regular season game, that was when he had the disc injury, the elbow injury which you are talking about was marshall #70 for the giants hitting him. And it was a very sad day for all, you know how much I love Marino, but Montana, would make brady look like a retard if he played today. Montana was the shit! And I think you should give Eli some credit, it took him half the time to win a super bowl, and the cool thing is that they both went thru the pats to get their rings. And if this post season is a sign of things to come he is only getting better. And Coach Hutchcliff, the man that coached both manning boys in college says that Eli is the better athlete. This comment is now too long. GO FINS!

Anonymous said...
February 20, 2008 at 8:04 PM  

First of all, as for me knowing how much you love Marino, I can only assume this is Matt. Other than that, I know nothing of how much you love Marino. Next, you were right about who hit Montana, I was thinking of LT recovering Craig's fumble. Sorry for the inaccuracy. And I agree that if Montana was playing today he would dominate more so than he did back in the 80's which was significant.
As for Eli being the better athlete, that may be true, but athleticism does not make one a great player, i.e., Michael Vick. Athleticism will only take you so far. Peyton is the better player. He is smarter and more dedicated to being the best quarterback in the league. As for Eli taking half the time to win a Super Bowl, that is true, but take into account the team to which Peyton came into the league. The Colts were the laughing stock of the NFL, and Peyton singlehandedly (well with the help of Marvin Harrison) brought them out of obscurity into contention.
Why would we not want to see history made. Maybe the Fins are the only team to go undefeated, but would you be opposed to them doing it again (we all know this is nowhere near happening)? Based on your logic, no. Anyway, thanks for letting me rant.

February 21, 2008 at 1:50 PM  

Post a Comment